Think and Grow Rich, by Napolean Hill, focuses on the importance of an individual’s mindset and how it directly relates to achieving success. Andrew Carnegie, who was the richest man in the world at the time (1908), commissioned the book with the goal of interviewing 500 successful people in order to discover the formula for success.
The information taught in the book can be directly applied to startups, sales, marketing and practically any business venture one can think. The significance of one’s thoughts in any of these scenarios will determine if success is achieved or if it is just another pipe dream.
Napolean Hill breaks down the power of thought into multiple chapters and explains his reasons for each.
- After the introduction, the second chapter deals with Desire. It all starts here. An individual must have an absolute burning desire to achieve success or whatever goal it is they want to achieve in their life.
- Napolean Hill talks about the importance of faith and believing you will attain your desire.
- Auto Suggestion. The importance of repetitive positive affirmation of your goals and desire.
- Specialized Knowledge. The pursuit for knowledge specific to your desire will aid in you and/or your company’s success.
- The importance of imagining ways to better your business. Imagine what hitting that sales target, or building a fortune 500 company will feel like.
- Organized Planning. Goals are extremely difficult to achieve without a plan. Planning helps you stay productive and focused on the task at hand.
- Have the ability to make a decision quickly and stick with it.
- Never quit, never give up. Look at every obstacle as an opportunity.
- A small group of people whom you come together with in order to brainstorm ideas about business and to problem solve.
- Sex Transmutation. Taking sexual thoughts and converting them into thoughts of another nature. Using them as fuel in order to help achieve your goals.
- Subconscious Mind. Visualizing your future and trusting your gut instinct.
- The Brain. Learning to maximize your brain power in order to aid your problem solving ability.
- The Sixth Sense. Once the first 12 principles are mastered, you can explore true wisdom by tapping into this ability.
Much of an individual’s or startup’s success is predicated on your thoughts and subconscious mind. If you are constantly thinking about success and building a great company or failure and losing everything, the outcome will manifest itself either way.
Napolean Hill explains the importance of using one’s mind in order to achieve success and when you combine that thought process with an amazing work ethic, your goals will be achieved much more rapidly. These principles can be applied to any aspect of one’s life, whether personal or professional. If you are trying to hit a new sales goal you need to believe and visualize yourself hitting it before you can achieve it. The same holds true for building a startup; you need to see it in your mind first, and then do it second.